The Public Interest Law Center
United Way Building, 2nd Floor
1709 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Traveling to Our Office
Our office is on the second floor of the United Way building, which is located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway between 17th and 18th Streets.
- Accessible Parking: Handicap accessible parking spaces can be found near the Race and Parkway intersection as well as on 17th Street between Race and the Parkway.
- Standard Parking: There are multiple parking garages and lots near the Law Center office. Parking rates can be found at Philadelphia.bestparking.com.
- Standard Public Transportation: Our office is conveniently located near multiple SEPTA stops and bus lines including Suburban Station, the Race-Vine station and the City Hall station. To find the best route for you, use the SEPTA trip planner.
- Accessible Public Transportation: The closest accessible stop on the Market Frankfurt Line is the 13th Street stop. The closest accessible stops on the Broad Street line are the Walnut-Locust stop and the Spring Garden stop. The closest accessible regional rail line station is Suburban Station. All SEPTA buses are accessible. To review the status of an accessible elevator, visit the SEPTA website.
Requesting Legal Representation
The Law Center accepts cases that have the potential to help large numbers of people, particularly those in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. We only accept cases in our current project areas – education, healthcare, neighborhood and community health, housing, employment and voting rights.
Please understand that we receive an overwhelming number of requests for assistance and can only undertake representation in a very small number of cases, even from the requests we receive that fall within the scope of our project areas. Due to the volume of complaints, staff will not be able to respond personally to every request.
If you would like to request legal representation, please fill out and submit the appropriate form.
Request Representation from the Garden Justice Legal Initiative
To request representation for a community garden or urban farm issue from the Law Center’s Garden Justice Legal Initiative, download and follow the instructions on the form.
To complete the form:
- Save the form to your computer or print it
- Fill it out on the computer or by hand
- If completed on the computer, email to email@example.com
- If completed by hand, mail to the Law Center’s address listed above, Attn: Garden Justice Legal Initiative
NOTE: Requesting an appointment by phone or email will not establish an attorney client relationship. We are not agreeing to take your case. We do not represent you at this time. Therefore, you remain responsible for any and all deadlines.
Request a Special Education Consultation
The Law Center has assembled a network of participating lawyers who will consult with families seeking to defend their child’s rights under the IDEA. The lawyers will schedule a meeting with families and will provide information about next steps available. Following the initial appointment the lawyers will make a decision about whether to take your case. To request an appointment for consultation services, please complete this form.
Please also fill out this form, which allows us to release and exchange your information and records to the lawyer that may assist you.
To complete the forms:
- Save the forms to your computer or print them
- Fill them out on the computer or by hand
- If completed on the computer, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If completed by hand, mail to the Law Center’s address listed above, Attn: Consultations
NOTE: Requesting an appointment by phone or email will not establish an attorney client relationship. Neither we nor participating lawyers are agreeing to take your case. We do not represent you at this time. Due to the number of people requesting assistance, an appointment may not be available immediately. Therefore, you remain responsible for any and all deadlines. If we do not have your consultation questionnaire and records at least one week prior to your scheduled consult, your appointment will be canceled.
Disability Employment Discrimination Project
Do you need legal advice on employment discrimination because you were denied a job or a promotion, need accommodations at work, or were terminated/demoted because of your disability?
We provide free legal advice and consultation on employment matters to low-income persons with disabilities and representation in appropriate cases.
To find out if this program can provide you free legal services, please complete a confidential intake form. This form is to help determine eligibility for the Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia’s disability-based employment discrimination legal services for clients in Pennsylvania. Please complete this form ONLY if you are seeking legal help with an employment issue, and only if you reside in Pennsylvania.
NOTE: By agreeing to a consultation, we are not agreeing to take your case. We do not represent you at this time. We will review the information you provided and if you are eligible we will contact you within 2 weeks. If you are not eligible, we will notify you within 60 days.
Request Representation in All Other Matters
For all other requests, download and fill out a general representation request form. (Note: this form cannot be mailed in and must be submitted online.) If you have any questions please contact us using the general phone number and email listed above.